Keeping up the Traditions #holidays #family

Photo by fotografierende on Pexels.com

The quote above is particularly apt as the years go by.

When I was a child, Christmas meant decorating the tree we went into the forest to collect. My mom would pack up a lunch and bundle us in warm winter coats, mitts and toques, and then away we would go, my dad driving us deep into the woods where the very best trees were hidden.

We’d traipse through deep snow, broken only by Dad’s footprints, until we found the perfect tree. Not too big, not too small, even branches and a crown made for an angel.

Photo by Jessica Lewis on Pexels.com

A few days later, we could finally decorate. Lights first, then garland, tinsel, and ornaments- some we made and some passed down through the family. Then Dad would add the tree topper and our living room was transformed into a magical place!

Years later, when I married and had my own family, we switched to an artificial tree for the holidays. They’re convenient; you don’t need to fight with the lights, and it’s better for the environment.

But, the magic was gone.

Other traditions took its place- family breakfast Christmas morning before the exchange of gifts. Afternoons spent outdoor skating or tobogganing while the turkey cooked. The passage of time marked by those who joined the festivities, and family members we’d lost.

Then my grandson was born.

Christmas is made for children. The wonder on their precious faces fills our hearts with love and joy. They remind us of the magic of our youth and the importance of family.

My grandson

Then, my daughter was given the opportunity to gain her masters degree, but it was across the country and suddenly Christmas was down to DH, Mom and I.

I’m not complaining, many people spend the holidays all alone, but I have to admit I’m floundering.

We went to look at lights last night, DH and I, (Mom stayed home) and it was nice- quiet, but nice.

It’s so different looking at lights without snow on the ground and freezing cold air in your lungs! lol

What do you do to allay depression during the holidays?

I’m trying, really, I am!

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas

Bitmoji Image

1. Merry Christmas, Jacquie!

1. Wishing you a very happy holiday, Stevie!

1. Thanks Jacquie. Hope 2020 brings all you wish for.

Every Christmas is so different with an empty nest, but the magic still lingers. Merry Christmas Jacquie!

1. You have to search a little harder, but yes, it’s there 🙂
      Merry Christmas, Denise!

🙂

1. Merry Christmas to you, Saania!

3. tidalscribe says:

Yes lots of people like having a quiet Xmas – but it’s not the same. We have had two Xmases by ourselves with family elsewhere, but since our daughter got her own home and two little boys things have livened up again.

1. I’m glad the joy has come back to your Christmas. Kids really do make all the difference.
      Happy holidays!

A lot of traditions fade into the background and change as time moves forward. I think, the magic, however, still remains in cherished memories and new experiences. Not all of those experiences become traditions but they still have the capacity to be special in that snapshot in time. 🙂

My wishes to you and yours for a Merry and Magical Christmas, Jacquie!

1. I like that, Mae- a snapshot in time. ❤
      Merry Christmas!

5. I love what your graphic says at the top, Jacquie, and remembering those moments is what keeps me from being deeply depressed because my kids both live on different coasts in the US. However, on the other hand, there are moments those memories do make me depressed because new holiday moments aren’t happening, anymore. So, I’m with you on the “trying” part.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas.

1. You understand exactly what I mean, Mary. We can make new traditions, maybe donate time to a charity, but none of it makes up for an empty household. {{hugs}} my friend.

6. Merry Christmas, Jacquie. Lovely pictures!

1. Thanks, Jacqui. I love my Iphone 🙂

7. Beware Of The Reader says:

Well right now I don’t have time to think as I am burried in work LOL I hope you’ll get only joy and no depression this time Jacquie!

1. Do you get a break through the holidays, Sophie? I hope so, you deserve it!

8. To keep the holidays joyful I try to concentrate on the real spirit of the season. Peace on Earth Goodwill to men. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jacquie.

1. That’s the best reason of all, John. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

1. Thanks, Diego. Happy holidays!

We have to make our own traditions. I now live in Spain, far away from my Canadian family. But we go to the beach on Christmas morning as do many others dressed n Santa suits, dogs with antlers, etc. It´s so much fun. I still do a tree and make a turkey for dinner. Then I spend the evening Skyping with family and it is all good. I am still a kid at Christmas no matter where I am. Sending Christmas hugs.

1. Going to the beach sounds fun, Darlene! You’re right; times change, but we can still create new traditions. Thanks for the pep-talk, I needed it! lol

10. A beautiful share and lovely contrast of time, family life, holiday traditions and change. Very heartwarming!💕❤️

1. Thank you, AOC! Happy New Year!