The Land of the Free- Fiction in a Flash Challenge #amwriting #WritingCommunity @pursoot

Fiction in a Flash Challenge #16

Suzanne Burke came up with this beautiful photo for this week’s prompt. Read the entries and join in here: https://sooozburkeauthor.wordpress.com/2020/09/04/fiction-in-a-flash-challenge-week-16-new-image-prompt-join-in-the-fun-pursoot-iartg-asmsg-writingcommunity/

The full moon rode a crest of diaphanous clouds in the midnight sky, turning the snow into a diamond-encrusted field stretching as far as Luna could see. A soft wind ruffled her fur and sighed through the pines, increasing her loneliness.

It had been two weeks since she’d plunged into the freezing cold river. By the time she managed to slow her headlong journey through the angry waves, she’d been miles from her family. Crawling up the bank, Luna took refuge under a fallen tree and shivered until sleep took her under.

Three frosty days later, hunger drove her from the makeshift shelter. Stiff and aching muscles protested, but she shook, sending ice projectiles flying in all directions, and hobbled into the forest. A wounded rabbit provided the nourishment she needed and strength coursed through her veins.

Now to find her way home.

Instinct sent her feet flying upriver, back toward the snow-capped peaks of the Mackenzie Mountains. Wawatay followed her nighttime journey, the spirits dancing their way into the next world, the blue and green streaks lighting her way.

A shot rang out, kicking up the powdery snow near Luna’s tail. She yelped, and dodged to the right. What was tha… Bang. The echo resounded off the trees, knocking snow from the branches. Her pulse leaping in fear, she took flight, running full out away from the horrible noise. She ran, and ran, until her breath sawed in and out of her mouth, and still she ran.

Dawn was breaking the night sky apart by the time Luna slowed to a stop, tail tucked between her legs. Hopeless, she lifted her head and howled at the gods for leaving her out here all alone. A moment later, an answering call traveled on the wind.

Could it be?

Afraid to hope, Luna watched and waited until a pack of wolves loped into view. The big male in the lead had a distinctive coat of black fur with a silver streak down the back- her father.

Luna took off at a mad dash, yipping with joy. Her family surrounded her, licking and nipping their love and affection. Somehow, some way, she’d defied the odds and found her way home here in the land of the free.

Well Jacquie I am happy she found her family back. And angry at the men who shot at her!

1. Unfortunately, they are still hunted for their fur. I’m glad she escaped, as well ❤

2. What a lovely piece of writing, Jacquie. Well done.

1. Thanks! I’m enjoying these prompts 🙂

3. Pink Roses says:

I enjoyed reading that and found myself smiling at the end, so happy Luna had found her way home.

1. Thank you! I’m glad she made it, too 🙂

4. A lovely read, Jacquie. Filled with emotion, adventure and a will for Luna to survive, it had me on the edge of my seat.

1. Thank you, Hugh! Luna was very brave 🙂

5. Joan Hall says:

I love that you wrote from the wolf’s perspective. Well done!

1. Thanks, Joan. The photo made me think of the movie, Homeward Bound 🙂

6. That is a gorgeous photo. There is something about wolves, and their mournful howls. Very nice.

1. We have wolves here that swim between the islands- crazy!

1. How is that even possible! Oh my, fun to watch I bet.

7. Jina Bazzar says:

Interesting that the pov comes from the wolf. And it’s more upbeat than the last one I read here – though no less amazing.

1. Thanks, Jina. I guess I’m in a better frame of mind this time, lol

Beautiful images as she made her way home! I was so relieved when she saw her dad and the rest of her pack.

1. Thanks, Denise. We visited the Northwest Territories one year and I was taken by how vast it is!

I can imagine:)

9. balroop2013 says:

What a heart-warming story Jacquie! Animals understand love better than humans. 🙂

1. Family is everything ❤

10. Soooz says:

Jacquie this is such a warm and heartfelt post. A marvelous take on the prompt yet again. Thanks so much for joining in. I’ve just shared this on the Challenge site. 😊

1. Thank you so much!

Hi Jacquie, I just read your entry at Soooz’s site. This is a remarkable story. I loved it…the descriptions, the pace, the ending. Perfect! ♥

1. Yay! Thank you, Gwen 🙂

Wow, Jacquie that is beautiful, speaking to the heart on so many levels. And from the opening sentence through to the closing, your descriptions are off the chart. Bravo!

1. That’s a HUGE compliment- thank you, Mae!

13. Judi Lynn says:

I like happy endings:) Beautiful description, too. Really enjoyed this.

1. Thank you, Judi. I loved all the Disney animal stories- I guess it stayed with me 🙂

14. Wonderful story Jacquie and thank goodness that hunter was a lousy shot.. xx

1. And Luna could run like the wind 🙂