Dig a Little Deeper- Advice from my sardonic/wise muse #amwriting #writingcommunity #writingchallenge

Advice from a Sardonic wise Muse

Diana Peach from Myths of the Mirror has kindly opened her blog to guests with a challenge to write a short story about your muse. Here’s mine:

“It’s your turn.”

I nod absently and continue staring at the board as though the answer is going to appear any time and if I look away for even a millisecond it’ll be gone forever. “I know, just give me a minute, will you?”

“A minute wouldn’t be bad. You’ve been in this exact same place for days now. How do you expect to get anywhere by staring into space?”

He doesn’t understand. It’s not that easy to catch the right word, line, paragraph before it disappears into the ether. “Brilliance takes time,” I tell him.

He snorts. “Pardon me, I didn’t realize you had such high aspirations. Still, you’re not get any younger–“

“Hey,” I protest, glaring at him. “For a muse, you’re not very nice.”

He shrugs, unimpressed. “I’m not here to pander to your delicate writer’s psyche, I’m merely stating the facts.”

“Well, don’t bother. I know I haven’t been writing the way I should be- I have writer’s block.” There, I said it. Even pushing the thought out there lightened the weight on my shoulders. I sat back, kind of proud of myself.

“Hogwash,” he muttered. “There’s a classic example of a foolish excuse, if I ever heard one.”

“I wonder if anyone would notice if I faded away?” I mused. “Sometimes I feel as though no one cares whether I write another word, or not.”

“Wow, you’ve got it bad,” he said, tipping my knight over. “Feeling sorry for yourself isn’t going to solve your problems. You have to dig a little deeper. Work that angst into the story, give it heart and soul. You’ll see, it will resonate with your readers.

Everyone is going through tough times right now. You don’t have the monopoly on anxiety. What you do have, is the gift of writing. You can change peoples’ lives with your books. Allow them to escape their worries, to laugh, love, and even cry for a few precious hours of reading time. It’s all in your hands- use it wisely.”

With that, he rose and left the room, leaving me to ponder his message. I hated to admit it, but he was right. The only thing stopping me was myself.

I set the chessboard aside and opened my laptop. Time to dig a little deeper.

1. jenanita01 says:

Playing chess with your muse… way to go, Jacquie!

1. One way to avoid writing, lol

1. Thanks for the share, Anita and Jaye!

2. Awww. I thought your muse was going to be bully, but he’s actually kind of a softy. Firm, but a softy. I think he likes you, Jacquie. Happy Deep Writing, my friend.

3. Reblogged this on Myths of the Mirror and commented:
    Jacquie’s muse gives her a pep talk, something a lot of writer’s seem to need during these troubled times. Enjoy!

1. Thanks for the reblog, Diana!

1. You’re welcome and my pleasure. Thanks for playing. I love how our muses are so REAL! Happy Writing. ❤

Listen to your muse, he knows what he’s talking about. A good one, Jacquie.

1. Procrastination has become my middle name, I fear, lol

What a great story, Jacquie. The imagery of a chessboard worked powerfully, and the messages – brilliant. 💜

1. Thank you, Gwen. I hope I can take my own advice (or my muse’s :)) and get some work done now!

6. Kudos Jacquie on your re-connection with your muse and deeper purpose. I hope you touch many people with your words and can give them some solace and relief in these crazy times.

1. Thank you! It’s hard to focus with so much happening, but I think it’s more important now than ever to get our stories out there. ❤

1. Agreed on both accounts.

7. balroop2013 says:

I like your muse Jacquie… digging deeper is a nice advice, you never know what excavations are waiting to be explored within us. Happy writing. 🙂

1. Thanks, Balroop. Time to quit procrastinating, I guess 🙂

This is a nice short piece Jacquie! But indeed that’s exactly what art is: expressing your feelings. So go on, dig a little deeper 😉

1. Thanks, Sophie. The words, or is it my ambition?, haven’t been around much as of late.

Perfect, Jacquie! I’d love to know what your muse looks like. 🙂 His words of wisdom resonate truth!! Thank you for sharing.

1. He looks a lot like my husband 🙂

1. Thank you, Bette. My muse/hubby knows how to clear my mind of the clutter 🙂

10. I hate when a muse is right!

1. Lol, mine is always right- ask him 🙂

11. Erica/Erika says:

Very creative, Jacquie, especially with the thread of the “Queen’s Gambit” woven throughout.. It is interesting for me to witness how an accomplished writer still debates with their muse. As the other comments mention “you have to dig a little deeper” resonates with many. Thank you for sharing! Erica

1. It’s easier to make excuses than to buckle down and get the work done, but if we can just push through, and make the right moves, success is within reach!

12. Teri Polen says:

Wise words from the muse!

1. He’s a smart guy 🙂

13. Almost Iowa says:

Brilliance takes time

Drat!!

That’s the argument I should have made with my muse rather than suggesting it requires more beer and NetFlix.

1. Lol, that works, too 🙂

14. Dig a little deeper is good advice, Jacquie. Sometimes I wonder why I bother writing and think its not as if anyone would even notice if I stopped tomorrow. Somehow, though, I just keep going and its getting to be more rather than less.

1. I think we all get misgivings, Robbie. I’ve had some less than stellar reviews lately and took a hit to my confidence, too.

1. I haven’t seen them, Jacquie, but I am programmed by my job to ignore comments that are useful or helpful and only take on board ones that help me grow in my space. I think your books are great!

1. That’s great advice, Robbie. I guess people need to vent now and then. Too bad we get to feel the brunt of it.

Thanks for the kind words. Your books are awesome, too ❤️

15. Judi Lynn says:

Gotta give your muse credit. He knows his stuff. Good advice, and he knows how to motivate you:) Hope the writer’s block is a thing of the past.

1. I’m working on it 🙂