Enjoying the Outdoors- #SundayStills #Lifestyle

The Sunday Stills Challenge hosted by Terri Webster Schrandt is sports and hobbies this week. You can join the challenge here.

Being Canadian, hockey stands out as one of our favorite sport activities.

From Wikipedia

The contemporary sport of ice hockey was developed in Canada, most notably in Montreal, where the first indoor game was played on March 3, 1875. Some characteristics of that game, such as the length of the ice rink and the use of a puck, have been retained to this day. Amateur ice hockey leagues began in the 1880s, and professional ice hockey originated around 1900. The Stanley Cup, emblematic of ice hockey club supremacy, was first awarded in 1893 to recognize the Canadian amateur champion and later became the championship trophy of the NHL

The photo above is one of my grandson’s earliest games.

He keeps us on our toes, everything from car shows to quadding, night golf, and watching him at another Canadian pastime: Lacrosse.

I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

One of our favorite hobbies on the island is bird watching. I’m still learning the names and enjoy trying for the perfect photo.

No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky.

Bob Dylan

Of course, I must add another couple of favorite hobbies; gardening and flower photography.

I’m sharing this post for several other photo challenges including Becky B’s October Squares, and Cee’s Flower of the Day.

And finally, there’s reading 🙂

What are some of your favorite activities and hobbies?

Sign up for my newsletter and get exclusive previews, book deals, giveaways, and more-

I’d love to watch a ice hockey match!

I love your photos, Jacquie. Every morning, I walk — unless weather forbids it. And when I’m out wandering, crows often follow. I’ve become attached to them because they squawk hello and then I say hello back then they squawk again. Anyway, your bird photos reminded me of my morning “conversations.” 😊

1. Crows are so intelligent. It’s wonderful that you’ve made friends with them, Gwen ❤️

3. Beautiful photos, Jacquie!

1. Thank you, Jill. We’re happy on the island 😊

4. You have some wonderful hobbies and pastimes, Jacquie! I don’t know how you do anything as prolific a writer as you are! Your flower photography is awesome and you do know how to embrace your life!

1. Thank you, Terri. The garden brings me great peace ❤️

5. Loved your photos, Jacquie. Hobbies huh? Well, let’s see. I write and ……well there’s my writing. When I’m not writing I’m thinking about writing. Gad. I like Michael Jordan’s thoughts.

1. I’ve been avoiding the writing thing, not sure why. Hopefully a short term infection, lol

1. Just a temporary pain avoidence technique. It will pass.

1. Lol, that’s it exactly 🙂

6. What lovely ideas. I like walking. Not too exciting but I love it!

1. I need to do more walking 🚶‍♀️ I’m so lazy, lol

7. A wonderful glimpse into your joys of grandparenting and hobbies, Jacquie. I love birds too and have a little book so I can learn their names (I’m terrible at it). And I share your love of gardening… and reading. I loved the quotes you picked for the post. The Jordan one was unexpected and astonishing, and the Dylan one so poetic. Beautiful post.

1. Thank you, Diana. We have a bird book, too, but it’s hard to distinguish the fine characteristics to determine exactly what I’m looking for, lol

1. 🙂 It’s not easy to. They rarely sit still for the inspection.

1. Yes! I just tried for a hummingbird and got the lemon tree instead, lol

Your flower photos are absolutely stunning, Jacquie! Thank you for sharing all of these!

1. Thank you, Jan. I love my garden 🙂

9. petespringerauthor says:

I grew up in the Dakotas, and everybody played ice hockey there. We often went down to the river and made our nets, etc. We moved out to California when I started high school, where the climate was more conducive to soccer. I had rarely seen a soccer ball up to that point. I think it’s great that your grandson was so busy. Kids who have a lot of interests are usually happy.

1. It’s the community spirit in action. You get the kids coming together to form teams, and the parents and coaches cheering them on- positive reinforcement 🙂

Beautiful photos and great hobbies. I am also a fan of hockey, reading and birds 🙂

1. We must be soul sisters 🙂

🙂

11. BeckyB says:

I played lacrosse as a child – one of the very few here in England! And you have found some fabulous squares – so glad you joined us again

1. My grandson loves the sport- great exercise!

1. BeckyB says:

It really is. Very long time since I played it, think I’d probably collapse these days after a few moments!

1. I get tired just watching him run that court, lol

1. BeckyB says:

Lol! It is certainly an energetic game – what position does he play?

2. They switch around, but he mainly plays defense or midfielder. How about you?

3. BeckyB says:

Attack or midfielder for me!

12. We don’t have Hockey here but we baseball and basketball. My daughter did gymnastics and swimming when she was young. I watch birds also but mostly just watch the birds that come to my garden, mourning doves, finches, sparrows, and jays. Something I do every day is gardening. I spent the most money on flowers this summer because I replaced a lot of annuals with perennials. I also planted most of the flowers that are for hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees. I only have some that are just for their colors.

1. Yes, most of our plants are perennial, as well (even though they’re container grown) and are focused on providing nectar for animals. Do you grow many fruits and vegetables, Miriam?

1. I saw your flowers in the containers, Jacquie on FB or your posts! Some seeds label good for container grown. I have one orange tree with two crops a year, two plum trees which produce plum in early spring, one apple tree that has many apples right now. I’m growing kale, bell peppers, and squash right now. I have limited space for fruits and vegetables so I only grow the vegetables that are little more expensive to buy. Bell peppers cost about a dollar each.
        Oh, I also have a new blackberries plant. I want to get a raspberries plant and a dwarf lemon tree.

1. We have a thornless raspberry called Shortcake- delicious fruit!

1. I’m looking for thornless raspberry. The blackberry has thorns and hard to handle.

2. I heard there is a Blackberry Shortcake bush, as well, but we haven’t found one yet.

3. I didn’t know the differences in berries when I planted this one. It’s about 4 feet right now and will have berries next spring. I just did a quick search on thornless blackberries. I may dig up this one and plant thornless bush. My daughter said blackberries are invasive and said some people contained the roots.

4. They are VERY invasive! We have them growing wild all over Vancouver Island. A natural windbreak, lol

5. Oh, I don’t have space for that. So I need to contain the roots for sure. We saw some wild berries in the woods.

13. These are lovely pictures, Jacquie. I always enjoy your flower photographs.

1. Thank you, Robbie. I enjoy your travel photos 🙂

14. bushboy says:

Love this post Jacquie 🙂 🙂

15. Kirstin Bozich Troyer says:

Love this Jacquie. We used take our youth group to watch the Portland Winterhawks hockey games. Before that groups of college friends would go. Love your other hobbies too. I would be a bird watcher for sure with all those amazing birds around.

1. Back home in Alberta, we had a big outdoor rink for hockey games- a very cool experience (in more ways than one! lol)