When Dreams Come True- #followyourdreams #inspiration

Photo by Pascal Renet on Pexels.com

Ever since my daughter was a young child- maybe five- she started talking about studying marine animals to save their environment. We smiled, bought her books on sea creatures, and thought it was sweet how much she cared about the ocean.

Brandy and her older cousin, Janna

The years passed. Filled with dreams, she took swimming lessons right up to lifeguard status, got exemplary school grades, and prepared for her future. Then fate stepped in and gave her a beautiful baby boy.

He became her focus, and again she worked hard, doing everything she could to give him a happy, healthy life. But the dream wouldn’t die. She applied to several universities while working two jobs and was admitted to the University of Victoria where she took on two majors: science and biology with an end goal on marine biology.

Once again fate stepped in and gave her another challenge to overcome- her beautiful, healthy, happy son developed Type 1 Diabetes.

She had the added stress of learning how to give needles ( the Omnipod and Libre came later), take blood readings, and count carbs- he was seven.

I still don’t know how she managed, but her schooling didn’t suffer. She earned a Bachelor of Science with distinction

And was accepted to the Memorial University of Newfoundland for her Major in Marine Biology.

Health issues continued to plague both of them, and it hurt to see how discouraged she became, but she never gave up.

And now:

She’s been accepted into a fully funded PHD program in… New Zealand!

Is it any wonder this girl is the joy of my life, my inspiration, and my hero?

She’s overcome tremendous odds to follow her dream, and though she’s nervous of moving to the other side of the world and all that might mean for their health, she’s also determined to succeed. It just goes to show, if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen.

Her dad and I are so incredibly proud of her and wish her the very best! Just think, we’ll soon have a professor in our midst 🙂

This is amazing Jacquie! Your daughter is so strong! And maybe you’ll get to visit New Zealand! Congratulations! 🎉

1. That would be a heck of a first plane ride, Sophie! Thank you, we’re thrilled for her 🙂

2. This is fantastic! Congratulation to your daughter! She’s a shining example of what can happen when we keep pushing forward despite the obstacles. Thank you for sharing her story Jacquie! xo

1. Exactly, Jill. We can’t move ahead if we don’t try. I’m filled with happiness for them, and worry, too. That’s a long way away if anything goes wrong (fingers crossed it doesn’t!)

3. Cathy says:

Wow! Jacquie, your daughter is amazing! So glad she realised her dream.

1. Thank you, Cathy. She’s an inspiration, for sure!

4. Dave Astor says:

Your daughter is VERY impressive and inspiring, Jacquie, and your story of her life is dramatically told.

1. Thank you, Dave. She’s faced obstacles that would have stopped most, and soldiered on- so very proud of her ❤

5. That’s great news, Jacquie. Your daughter is an inspiration and a role model. Congratulations to her, and I wish her success.

1. Thanks, Michele. We’re thrilled with the news!

6. Lady Tessa says:

That’s absolutely wonderful! Congratulations!!! 🍾🥂

1. Thank you, Tessa. She deserves this, and it’s so close now!

7. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree when It comes to strength and perseverance Jacquie!

1. Thank you, Wayne! I love that kid ❤

8. petespringerauthor says:

What a fantastic human being! You and your husband should be glowing with pride. As a fellow parent, I know there are few things in life more satisfying than watching one of your children meet one of their long-held goals.

Outstanding post, Jacquie. It brought a tear to my eyes.

1. My heart is filled to overflowing, Pete. We will miss them, but this opportunity is too big to pass by. I hope and pray her dream comes true.

9. An inspirational story, Jacquie. You have every right to be proud.

1. Thank you, John. She’s worked for ten, long years to get to this point. I’m so proud of her.

1. A long road which will be a testament to her dedication.

What wonderful news, Jacquie! I feel your deserved pride all the way here. I wish her nothing but happiness, health, and success. Congrats xo

1. Thanks, Denise. I’m so humbled by her perseverance. She’s incredible.

11. Wow, Jacquie. No wonder she’s your hero and inspiration. This post was so touching. I’ve heard New Zealand isn’t only beautiful, but it’s one of the last sane places left on the planet. She’ll do wonderfully and so will your grandson. Huge applause for her and for you and your husband too because everyone needs someone at their back. Well done!

1. That’s reassuring, Diana. I’m not ashamed to admit it’s scary knowing they’ll be so very far away if anything goes wrong. I’ll be doing lots of praying until they’re settled, lol

1. Yeah, it must feel like they’re moving to another planet. But what a dream come true. Will you get to visit them at some point?

1. I doubt it. I’ve never been on a plane and hubby is a homebody. Thank goodness for Facetime!

1. Yes. Facetime is the next best thing. 🙂

12. Teri Polen says:

What an inspiration your daughter is, Jacquie! She’s overcome so many obstacles and achieved so much. I wish her every success in school. What a proud mother you must be!

1. I always knew she was stubborn 🙂 but never doubted her determination. Thank you, Teri ❤

Sometimes the impossible sparks the hero in us. Your daughter is an amazing example of that truth. She is a hero. Please give us regular updates on her progress! 💗

1. I agree, Gwen. She’s been faced with tough challenges complicated by her independence, but that same spirit allowed her to succeed. Thanks so much for your kind words!

14. I am so proud of her, of you, of tenacity that doesn’t quit. What a wonderful story of a dream coming true.

1. That’s the perfect word, Jacqui- tenacity. She is the strongest person I know. I’m incredible proud to be her mom 🙂

1. I have a daughter like that so I know exactly how you feel. Such a warm feeling.

15. What an amazing story, Jacquie. You have every right to be proud. Wishing you, her, and all your family health and happiness, and continued success. Hugs all around.

1. Thank you, Teagan! We’re going to miss them so much, but are excited to see where their new adventure takes them, too 🙂

16. dgkaye says:

Amazing, and blessed miracles. Congrats to your daughter and to you Jacquie. Stay blessed ❤

1. Thanks, Debby. We’ll miss them dearly, but are so happy she’s getting this opportunity ❤

17. Thanks so much for sharing this, Jacquie. I have followed along with what you’ve shared about your daughter over the years, and wow, is she ever an inspiration. I wish her the best in her Ph.D. studies. So exciting! I know she will continue to do big things and inspire others!

1. Thank you, Jennifer. It makes my heart happy to see her accomplish her goals- even though we’ll miss them!

18. Hi Jacquie, congratulations to your daughter on this amazing achievement. I am sure you will miss them madly, but what an opportunity.

1. Yes, it’s kind of bittersweet. We’re thrilled for them but worried, as well.

1. I can imagine. Greg drove Michael to the barber yesterday for haircuts. Something new for me to worry about – smile!

19. Toni Pike says:

Congratulations to your daughter – what an inspiration she is! She will love New Zealand, it is a magnificent country and very orientated towards the ocean. Toni x

1. Have you lived there, Toni? Any advice for a newbie?

1. Toni Pike says:

No, Jacquie – i’ve just visited a few times on vacation including a couple of cruises. It has a beautiful coastline and, I think, plenty of marine wildlife such as dolphins. There’s a great fiord area that includes Milford Sound.

1. I can’t wait to see her photos!

2. Toni Pike says:

It’s a very friendly country, so you don’t need to worry about your daughter going there. I’m sure she’ll love it.

I am in awe of your daughter. She is just amazing and a great example of never giving up. I wish her a very Happy Birthday and all the best in her new venture. What a great experience for your grandson to live in New Zealand.

1. She amazes me, as well. Talk about perseverance under pressure! Aiden is happy, and nervous, about the trip. It’s a big change for both of them.
      I bet Amanda could find an adventure there (hint, hint) 🙂

21. Sylvie Grayson says:

This is such great news, Jacquie. I’m happy for you and for Brandy. She is obviously just like her mother. 🙂

1. Aww, thank you! She’s stubborn, that’s for sure 🙂