Something a Little Personal #Goals #Inspiration #FamilyFirst

Time to Make a Change

Do you ever look back and wish there were things you could change? I’m sure we’ve all been there at one time or another.

2018 is a blur for me. I was caught up in the write more/ write faster hampster wheel and took the things that are the most important for granted. I wrote and published six books and participated in twelve box sets and book bites.

I’m so proud of these accomplishments, but they came at a steep cost.

Time.

Time to spend with those important in my life. My daughter and grandson, who moved across the country in August. My husband, who works nights and therefore has limited daylight hours awake. My mom, who lives next door. My cat and dog, who would appreciate a little one-on-one time. My overflowing Kindle, filled with stories I’ve yet to read. My garden, that got by mostly by luck and little care last year. My family back home, who I rarely call. My friends, whose lives I’ve lost touch with.

A couple of months ago, I lost a relationship with an online book promoter who I’d considered a friend. Her reasoning: I hadn’t remained in contact with her. This hurt more than probably warranted, but it also served as a wakeup call.

Time is a precious commodity for all of us. We can’t afford to waste it, even if we are chasing our dreams. The cost may be more than you want to pay. One of my critique partners lost her husband not long ago. A friend lost her husband and her father this year, while another had a stroke on Boxing Day. These are all signs telling me life is precious, don’t waste a single moment.

I’m making 2019 my year to slow down.

I’m going to spend less time worrying and more with enjoying life and what a true blessing it is.

Instead of a resolution, I’ve picked a word to live up to: BREATHE

Do you have a word to inspire change?

Bitmoji Image

1. Thank you for the share!

1. jenanita01 says:

After your amazing workload last year, you must need to slow down…

1. My brain and my soul are bruised. I think I need to step back and regroup {{hugs}}

2. biggala blog says:

Yes you have really tried for last year ,now you can slow down .but 2019 is the year I set for uplifting my life in themes of investment

1. Best of luck to you!

3. Gwen Plano says:

Yes, we all need to take time to BREATHE. Life is much too precious and too brief. ♥

1. Exactly, Gwen. I feel horrible for those who lost someone or suffered illnesses this past year. 2019 will bring in DH and my 35 anniversary, I plan on being there to enjoy our lives together. ❤

4. I totally agree with what you’re saying in this post, Jacquie. I’ve just come back from a blogging and writing break which has taught me much of what you have said in this post. I spent Christmas and the festive period with family and friends instead of being on the computer. I had a wonderful time and it’s taught me to slow down and to spend more time on the other parts of my life which I ignored. I feel refreshed and like as if I have turned a new corner.
    Well done of grabbing hold of what faced you and choosing to change. Enjoy the extra time with your family and friends and doing other stuff outside of the blogging and writing worlds. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything a whole lot better.
    Happy New Year.

1. That’s it exactly, Hugh. I’ve been ignoring the people who are the most important in my life. It’s a sad fact that writing and everything it encompasses comes with a huge price tag.
      I love my career, but I need to find a balance before it’s too late. {{hugs}} and Happy New Year.

5. I wonder if someone gives lessons on how to slow down. I believe the key is to BREATHE. A fantastic word and goal. I’m amazed at what you’ve accomplished this year. Congratulations. My wake-up call was at the beginning of the 2018, but how soon I forgot once things cleared up. Enjoy your slow-down, Jacquie. This is a great reminder to stop to breathe and to remember how important family and friends are to us. Thank you. Cheers to a brand-new beginning.

1. Thanks, Mary. And you’ve hit on another good reminder- don’t forget my goal!
      It’s so easy to get caught up in the excitement of this business, and I don’t want to become trapped on that darn hamster wheel again!

6. Wow, Jacquie. I was asked yesterday to define my goals in one word, and I had the hardest time doing it. I think you gave me my word – Breathe! Thank you for that. And good luck to you on slowing down and spending time with family. ♥️

1. I’m glad, Jennifer. I found when I get upset if I just concentrate on taking some deep breaths it changes everything. Hopefully, it can help my focus, too 🙂

7. D.L Finn, Author says:

It is so hard to find that balance. I’m working on that, too. Breathe is a good word to start off the year and there is so much to enjoy in such a limited time. Happy New Year:)

1. Can you believe it’s going to be 2020 next year? That was as far away as The Jetsons when I was growing up, lol.
      Happy New Year, Denise!

8. Cheers to you and a fabulous 2019, Jacquie! 🙂

1. Let’s hope you’re right, Natalie 🙂
      Happy New Year!

9. I admire your tenacity and talent, Jacquie. Six books and all those additional stories is a lot to produce in one year. I am sure you do need a bit of a break and it is true that you only live once.

1. I miss my kids, Robbie. I think that has a lot to do with this post. It’s too easy to take those you love for granted until they aren’t there anymore. {{hugs}}

10. Judi Lynn says:

It’s hard to find balance. But I agree. Life can’t be all work, no play. Enjoy every aspect of yours this year!

1. So true! We live on a beautiful island and have taken barely any time to explore!
      Thanks for reminding me to play, Judi 🙂

Jacquie, I was amazed throughout 2018 by all the books you produced and the booksets you participated in, but I applaud your decision to step back and slow down. Finding a balance between writing and publishing and devoting time to ourselves and family is a difficult line to tread. I wish you a happy and healthy 2019!

1. Thanks, Mae. It’s a tough decision, I don’t want to lose whatever momentum I’ve gained, but I think it’s necessary.
      Happy New Year, my friend!

Happy New Year, Jacquie!

12. tidalscribe says:

I am guilty of ignoring the telephone. It’s so easy to message people, send pictures, enjoy group amily chats, while following blogs etc – all sitting at my desk, forgetting that not everybody is on line or wants to be and many still enjoy the old fashioned telephone call.

1. That, and letter writing, have become a lost art. While Facetime is my favorite goto for talking to my family, some don’t have Iphones and would probably appreciate a call now and then.
      Thanks for this reminder!

13. Jodie Esch says:

Hi Jacquie,

I totally appreciated the honesty of your post. You certainly worked very hard last year and your out-put is beyond impressive. You are amazing!

Now, as you are stating – time to slow down and reflect on your good fortune and enjoy your family and friends. I think that your goals/intentions are very sound.

All the best in 2019 in achieving more relaxation.

1. Thank you, Jodie! I love the challenges inherent in this business, but not at the cost of sacrificing my family. Time to regroup.
      Hope you’re enjoying that wonderful weather, it’s raining cats and dogs here, lol

14. Karissa Thorpe says:

Happy New Year, Jacquie. Do what you need to do to stay healthy and enjoy the moments that matter.

1. Thank you, Karissa. Life is too short to waste a single moment on regrets {{hugs}}

15. Staci Troilo says:

You had quite a productive 2018, but it does sound like the cost was steep. I’m glad you’re choosing a calmer 2019 and wish you all the best.

1. Thanks, Staci. Hope you had a nice holiday break!

16. Beware Of The Reader says:

Well Jacquie as you may have seen in my post my goal is exactly the same! Slow down, live in the moment more often. I don’t write books but my pressure outside work came among other from ARCs so I’ve decided to tone it down and have more room to read moody reads, without a schedule. Also participate in my weekly meme IF I have the time and energy. I love them but sometimes it adds pressure and I just want them to stay fun, as they should. Good luck with your goals!

1. I’m so sorry you had a rough end to your year, Sophie. Here’s to a softer, gentler 2019!

17. Well said Jacquie, cheers to you and good luck in this New Year! My motto this year…JUST KEEP SWIMMING!🐬🐙🐡

1. Love it! As long as you can float, you’re good 🙂

18. Lyn Horner says:

Very wise of you, Jacquie. I applaud your hard work this past year but you’re right, life is short. We shouldn’t waste a moment.

19. What an assessment in retrospect, on accomplishments, relationships and love, a motivation of thankfulness. Now I must undress myself of the old year for my dressing of this new year. Cheers!

1. Introspection is good for the soul ❤